Saturday, December 11, 2010

Peanut Brittle


I have been making peanut brittle for about 8 years now.  I really love this stuff, but I never knew how easy it was to make.  Hubs mom made it all the time, and I thought I would give it a try.  Well the first few times were something no one would eat.  Have you ever had peanut taffy?  Oh it was just a mess.  So after consulting with our neighbor, who got this recipe from Hubs' grandmother.  I found my niche.  After Hubs' mother passed away I inherited her recipe notebook.  Guess what here is the passed down recipe.

This recipe moves really fast, so it is best to assemble everything first.  You will also need a greased cookie sheet.

Add water, sugar and corn syrup to stock pan and begin to cook to boiling.

Continue to boil until it reaches hard ball stage.

Dump in peanuts and continue to boil.
I just let this boil away until it is a golden brown (paper sack) color.


Then it is time for the butter and vanilla. You can turn the heat off now.


Time for the baking soda, and this baby is going to rise up in the pan.



Pour onto your greased cookie sheet, and give it a little shake back and forth, to spread it out a little.

Now just leave it set for a hour or two.  Make sure it is really cool, all the way through.


Break into pieces and go for it.  Remember to give some away in cute cellophane bags.
This stuff is so addicting.




PEANUT BRITTLE

2 Cups Sugar
1 Cup White Corn Syrup
1/4 Cup Water
2 Cups Raw Spanish Peanuts
2 Teaspoons Baking Soda--Heaping
2 Tablespoons Butter
1 Teaspoon Vanilla

Cook sugar, white corn syrup, and water, until hard ball stage.  Add Peanuts and cook until golden brown.  Add butter and vanilla.  Add soda and stir really well mixture will foam up, pour immediately onto greased cookie sheet.   Shake cookie a sheet to spread mixture out.  Wait until cool to break into pieces.

1 comment:

  1. Look at you go! Good job! Sorry I missed out on the brittle. That is one of the things I miss about working with you. :) I used to get all your goodies!!

    ReplyDelete